Blog Design

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Just Keep Walking


As many of you might know, after almost 10 years, Jeff was recently laid-off from his job at FranklinCovey.  This has given us an opportunity to reflect and make changes in his career as well as our home life.  

One of those changes includes a family walk every morning.  This morning we walked to a park that was only about 1/4 mile from our home.  No strollers this time.  Eliza and Norah were doing great.  We had almost reached the park, but weren't able to see it yet, when Norah started complaining and saying "I can't walk."  As much as I encouraged her and told her the we were almost to the park, she kept crying and saying "I can't walk."  Even in her crying she was walking and all of the sudden she said, "Mom, I see the park."  As we crossed the street she added, "Mom, see I'm not crying anymore!"  She ran to the park and started playing happily for the next 30 min.

I found her experience so relevant to our life.  As we journey it is often when we are almost to our "park" that we start complaining that we can't bare this anymore.  Only a few more steps though and we see our destination.  Quickly we pull ourselves together, wipe away the tears and run to play.  Just a few more steps and a little more faith that the park actually exists and is something that will be exciting to us.  

For me, this is encouraging in the midst of our current family situation.  Just keep walking.

Something to think about.

Norah - After walking... ready to run and play on the soccer fields.

2 comments:

Maia said...

I love your entry Tamarah! Brent was laid off 1 week before Christmas and it threw us into a tailspin. Looking back on those 5 weeks that Brent was out of work was a real learning experience for us and actually brought us closer as a family. We had started taking a lot for granted, it was the wake up call we needed.
Keeping the 5 of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Amber said...

Tam
I love the new blog! My family convinced me to put a blog together, so check it out if you want to. Yours is much more exciting than mine :) Congratulations on a new baby. Maybe you should still come to Utah!

Love
Amber

here is my blog address: ambersarea.blogspot.com