Blog Design

Friday, June 20, 2008

Doctor's Visits



Yesterday was Zoe's 2month check-up and Norah's 3yr visit.

Remind me not to schedule my appointments for the last of the day...I get to enjoy the effects of everyone else's tardiness. The girls did surprisingly well even with the 2 hour long wait and appointment.
So, here are the stats...

Norah is now 28lbs and 37" tall. She didn't need to get any shots, YEA!!!
Dr. Clark is so great with kids and sure made Norah feel special and like a big girl. Since she got home yesterday she has being acting out all the doctorish things she experienced. She has measured all of us to see if we are any "bigger" (taller), and had taken our blood pressure. She listened to my "music" (my heart beating, my lungs etc.) Maybe I have a budding doctor on my hands.

Zoe is 24 1/4" long and 13.9lbs. She is in the 95th percentile for both height and weight and 75th percentile for head circumference. She did have to get 3 shots and 1 oral dose. I was pretty nervous for so much stuff to be put in her. Good thing she weighs so much, it will help off set these vaccines. They have added a new one (Rotavirus) since I had Norah. So much talk of vaccines in the news has created a new awareness and worry in me.

I came across this talk from Elder Boyd K. Packer. It has good advice in protecting ourselves and our children from the physical, moral and spiritual disease around us.

Also this:


“Immunizations—a Reminder,” Ensign, July 1985, 70

Not too long ago small children were the victims of childhood diseases, the very names of which struck fear into the hearts of parents. Polio, whooping cough, diphtheria, and others maimed or killed thousands of children.

Today, with the use of immunizations, these diseases are becoming more and more uncommon. In fact, they are so uncommon that many parents have become lax about immunizing their children. Some feel that there is no need; others fear adverse side effects. But parents have an obligation to protect their families through immunization.

In 1978 the First Presidency issued a statement in support of immunization programs and urged parents to participate. The statement read in part: “Immunization is such a simple, yet vital, matter and such a small price to pay for protection against … destroying diseases.

“Failure to act could subject untold thousands to preventable lifelong physical or mental impairment, including paralysis, blindness, deafness, heart damage, and mental retardation.

“We urge members of the Church … to protect their own children through immunization. Then they may wish to join other public-spirited citizens in efforts to eradicate ignorance and apathy that have caused the disturbingly low levels of childhood immunization.” (Reported in Ensign, July 1978, p. 79.)

The accompanying immunization schedule can help you ensure that your child is adequately immunized. In following this schedule, it is important that you keep a record of the type of immunization, the date given, and the doctor or clinic that gave the immunization.

Age & Type of Immunization

2 months - First DTP—diptheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough); First polio
4 months - Second DTP; Second polio
6 months - Third DTP
15 months - MMR—measles, mumps, rubella
18 months and older - Fourth DTP; Third polio
4 to 6 years - Fifth DTP; Fourth polio

TP booster—tetanus, diphtheria. Thereafter every ten years, or following a dirty wound if a booster has not been given in the preceding five years.

(Information taken from “Your New Baby” (PXRS0329), a pamphlet published by the Relief Society. The pamphlet can be ordered for 10¢ from Church distribution centers.)


This is somewhat outdated, as many additional shots have been added.
I saw a comment that advises given your child Vitamin C before their shots to help protect them from unwanted effects. How do you do that for a 2month old?? Also another comment in response to the first.

As mothers, we are guided by our intuition for what is best for each of our children. This is my third child and only now am I really trying to educate myself on these things.

Didn't mean to make this a preachy post, but if you have any comments, please share! For a current US immunization schedule click here

1 comment:

Maia said...

I hate immunization time. I was relieved when Larissa hit two because she is pretty much done with getting so many at once. I was always so nervous about all the shots but feel very strongly about immunizations so I have always been torn. I just read a great article in Time about immunizations and it made me feel better.
As for vitamin C, I used to give Larissa this. I give all my kids Vitamin C during the school year and we didn't have any cold all winter or spring!